7.18.2012

Polaris Prize - Who Could Have Made The Cut?



One of the best things about the Polaris Music Prize is the debate that follows the short list being announced. Before I get into talking about the bands who made the short list, I feel like I should take a moment to talk about some of the bands that arguably could be right up there with the short listers. Here are a couple of the bands that I felt could have fell either way:

Blackie and The Rodeo Kings - Kings and Queens


This album is one of those records that doesn't get as much coverage because it finds itself sitting in the folk/rock/alt-country genre. However, this record was great front to back. You can check out one of my favorites Black Sheep, which features Serena Ryder.



Cannon Bros. - Firecracker/Cloudglow

After seeing the Cannon Bros. during the Sled Island Music Festival this year Firecracker/Cloudglow, became one of my go to albums. This rock duo created an album that is both catchy and raw. I considered them one of the underdogs in the long list and I sure was hoping to see them on the short list this year. Please, stream the album below and buy it!



Dan Mangan - Oh Fortune

Dan's last album Nice, Nice, Very Nice, made it to the short list in 2010 and many people considered this new album to show a lot of growth in his writing. I have to admit, I was surprised to not see his album up there yesterday. However, that being said... the list is pretty damn good this year. You need something really special to get on there. Check out 4 tracks from Oh Fortune, below:



Joel Plaskett Emergency - Scrappy Happiness

If you follow this blog at all, you will know that I posted weekly updates on Scrappy Happiness as Joel recorded the album in 10 weeks. Once the final product was released I was really impressed. I thought Joel made a great rock record... which is really what you can expect from him day in and day out. But, a great rock record might not get you past a list with the caliber of talent that the Polaris long list holds. Nonetheless, check out You're Mine, below:



John K. Samson - Provincial

This was another album that I was hoping would make it to the short list. John K. Samson is an established artist, which I feel sometimes works against the artist. People want to see fresh stuff on the Polaris short list. Saying that, artists like Feist are on the list... Who am I to say who should be on anyways? You can stream the whole album over on Soundcloud or sample a couple songs below.



Patrick Watson - Adventures In Your Own Backyard

This album wasn't necessarily a surprise, but it is the first time a Patrick Watson album has not made the short list. I still love this album and think it can be stacked against his other albums any day. That being said, I think is one of those cases where everyone knows what Patrick Watson is about and this album played into it. Definitely long list material, maybe not short list material. I have provided a couple songs below.



Bry Webb - Provider

I considered Bry Webb's solo effort another one of those underdog albums. This album should have gotten wayyyyyy more press. It was amazing in my opinion and I believe it landed on our top albums of 2011. If Provider made the short list it would have been a surprise to many I am sure. You know the drill.



Honourable Mentions:

Rich Aucoin - We're All Dying To Live
The Weeknd - Echoes of Silence
Yukon Blonde - Tiger Talk

Those were the main albums that I felt could contend with the short list this year. I am excited to see what the Polaris Gala on September 24th brings!

- Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment