11.03.2011

Adam & the Amethysts - "Flickering Flashlight"

IMG_3397-adam_amethysts_credit-Celia-Perrin-Sidarous

Thanks to the CBC Radio 3's The R3-30 I recently discovered Adam & the Amethysts out of Montreal. The band released their second LP, Flickering Flashlight on October 4th. I'm not sure how you describe Adam & the Amethysts' sound, could be psychedelic folk or pop but either way I am definitely enjoying the sound and I will let Radio 3 try to describe Flickering Flashlight better then I can. You can stream the full album right now via Exclaim.

"Flickering Flashlight is the highest-fi lo-fi record you'll hear this year. Much as it evokes Van Dyke Parks' ensembles and Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, this bold blushing sound was recorded in a single tiny room at the front of Adam's apartment; an office stuffed with guitars, amps, patch-cords, a giant vintage map of Lake Superior. No, it wasn't soundproofed; yes, you can "definitely hear some garbage truck". There are distant creaks, closing doors, moth-wings. "When you listen to the record it's kind of like sitting in my house and listening to my house, with music playing over it," Adam says. "I was trying to achieve sounds that on the one hand transcend the circumstances, grander and more interesting, but on the other hand remain true to what's going on: which is a guy making music in a 5' x 8' room, overlooking the street." - CBC Radio 3

- Spence

No comments:

Post a Comment